Meet Notes (PDF)
No. 5 Oklahoma State Equestrian will host the Big 12 Championship in Stillwater this weekend for the first time since 2019. The top-seeded Cowgirls will begin their Big 12 title defense against four-seed Baylor Friday morning at 10 a.m., with the meet running simultaneously with the TCU-Fresno State matchup. OSU swept the Bears this season and have won the last 10 meetings between the teams. This weekend's Big 12 Championship will be streamed on ESPN+ and live scoring will be available during each meet on the Oklahoma State Equestrian website.
About the Cowgirls
The Cowgirls are led by 25th-year head coach Larry Sanchez, fourth-year assistant Laura Brainard and first-year assistant Carter Anderson.
Defending Our Turf
The Cowgirls have been dominant in Stillwater, winning 30 of their last 32 home meets dating back to 2018, including a stretch of 20 in a row. OSU is 5-1 at home this season, with three of the wins coming against ranked opponents (Georgia, Baylor and TCU).
Oklahoma State entered the 2022-23 season as the defending NCEA National Champions after winning the first overall title in program history last spring. The Cowgirls also became the first women's team in OSU history to win a national championship in any sport.
The Cowgirls went 9-1 against Big 12 opponents on their way to a second-consecutive conference championship last season. This year, top-seed Oklahoma State brings a 4-2 conference record into the Big 12 Championship, looking to claim back-to-back-to-back titles for the second time in program history (2012-14).
Oklahoma State has now had three riders be recognized with monthly awards this season. In November, Jojo Roberson was named both the NCEA and Big 12 Horsemanship Rider of the Month after going 2-0 while earning MOP in both meets. Sydney North became the first Cowgirl to earn a monthly award in 2023 as she was named the Big 12 Fences Rider of the Month for February. North went 3-0 in the month while earning two MOPs along the way. Molly Mitchell is the latest OSU rider to earn monthly recognition after being named the NCEA Reining Rider of the Month in March. Mitchell went 2-0 in the month while earning her third MOP of the season against UC Davis.
An Oklahoma State Win Would...
- Give the Cowgirls their ninth Big 12 Championship in program history.
- Give the Cowgirls back-to-back-to-back conference championships for the second time in program history (2012-14).
- Extend its postseason win streak to six, dating back to last season.
- Give it 11-straight wins against Baylor, dating back to 2019.
"This team is ready for this weekend," head coach Larry Sanchez said. "Everyone has been working hard and their attitude has been great. They are in the right spot for this time of year."
Cowgirls To Watch
- Senior Sydney North was nothing short of dominant for the Cowgirls in the spring, going 6-0 while collecting three MOPs. The February Big 12 Fences Rider of the Month will look to carry her momentum into the Big 12 Championship as OSU looks for back-to-back-to-back titles.
- Molly Mitchell has gotten hot at the right time entering the Big 12 Championship. The senior notched wins in three of her last four meets to finish the regular season, including picking up two MOPs on her way to being named the NCEA Reining Rider of the Month in March for the first time in her career.
- Riley Hogan has been one of the most reliable riders for the Cowgirls since stepping on campus as a freshman last season. The Sophomore went 10-2 this season in Fences, making her 16-4 in two seasons to begin her career, including a 4-1 mark in the postseason a year ago.
- Claire McDowall has ridden in ten meets this season and hasn't been beaten since October. The Junior is 8-1-1 on the season in Horsemanship and brings postseason experience into the Big 12 Championship after going 4-1 a year ago, including two wins in route to last year's conference title.