Oklahoma State - 71, Eastern Washington - 60
March 19, 2023 | Stillwater, OK (Gallagher-Iba Arena)
Updated Records: Oklahoma State 20-15 overall, 8-10 Big 12 I Eastern Washington 23-11 overall, 16-2 Big Sky
Oklahoma State Leaders: Points - Bryce Thompson - 22, Assists - Quion Williams - 4, Rebounds - Tyreek Smith - 10
Eastern Washington Leaders: Points - Angelo Allegri - 17, Assists - Ethan Price, Angelo Allegri - 3, Rebounds - Cedric Coward - 9
- Tyreek Smith got the Cowboys started in Gallagher-Iba with a layup.
- The Cowboys got a John-Michael Wright corner three and followed it with a steal and fastbreak finish from Bryce Thompson to go up 17-11 with 10:00 left.
- Three-straight made field goals from EWU put them ahead 18-17, but Kalib Boone’s first points of the day put OSU back up by one.
- Back-to-back threes from Bryce Thompson gave the Cowboys a 33-28 lead with 1:52 remaining in the half.
- Quion Williams knocked down a buzzer-beating three to end the first half on a high note, going into the locker room 39-30.
- Bryce Thompson started the second half with his fourth three-pointer of the game, putting the Cowboys up 12.
- OSU got up by 15 and controlled the entire second half, beating the Eagles 71-60 to advance to the NIT quarterfinals.
- Head coach Mike Boynton went with Caleb Asberry, Bryce Thompson, John-Michael Wright, Moussa Cisse and Tyreek Smith as the starting-five for the fifth-straight game.
- Bryce Thompson was on fire Sunday, scoring a career-high 22 points on six made three-pointers. Thompson surpassed the 20-point mark for the third time this season and the first time since Feb. 8 against Texas Tech.
- Tyreek Smith recorded his second double-double in a row, posting 11 points and 10 rebounds against the Eagles. Smith added a block and a steal for the Cowboys.
- Since being inserted into the starting lineup against Texas Tech on March 4th, Tyreek Smith has averaged 8.8 points, 9.6 rebounds
- Quion Williams set a new career high with four assists, and also added nine points and two rebounds.
- The Cowboys made 11 three-pointers Sunday, the sixth time this season OSU has reached double-digit made threes.
- As a team, the Cowboys have reached at least two blocks in every game this season.
- Oklahoma State is 19-3 when they shoot the same percentage or better than their opponent from the field this season.
- The Cowboys have reached 30 team rebounds in 14 of its last 15 games.
Oklahoma State’s win…
- Improved the Cowboys to 2-0 in the Eastern Washington series.
- Improved the Cowboys to 11-13 all-time in the NIT.
- Improved the Cowboys to 7-2 all-time at home in the NIT.
- Improved the Cowboys to 12-5 in Gallagher-Iba Arena this season.
- Improved the Cowboys to 10-6 in the postseason in the Mike Boynton era.
- Advanced the Cowboys to the NIT quarterfinals in back-to-back appearances.
- Is Mike Boynton's 107th win at OSU, tying him with Paul Hansen for fourth most in program history.
- OSU has made at least one three-pointer in 762 consecutive games dating back to Jan. 13, 2001.
- The Cowboys have shot over 40 percent from the field in 14 of their last 18 games.
- The Pokes have posted 10 or more assists in 29 of their 35 games this season.
- Dating back to last season, OSU has held 34 of its past 39 opponents under their season scoring average.
- The Cowboys have made 10 or more free throws in 25 of 35 games this season after doing so in 18 of their 30 games last season.
- OSU has reached double-digit offensive rebounds in five of its last eight games. The Cowboys' 22 against Baylor was their most in a game since 2011.
- Oklahoma State has reached double-digit second chance points in 25 of 35 games this season.
- Oklahoma State has recorded at least five steals in 25 of its 35 games this season.
- The Cowboys are 16-5 this season when out-rebounding their opponent. When getting out-rebounded, they are 3-8.
- As a team, the Cowboys have reached at least three blocks in 30 of 35 games this season. OSU leads the Big 12 with 4.9 blocked shots per game, which ranks 20th in the country.
- Caleb Asberry has made at least one three-point field goal in 15-straight games.