Iowa State at Oklahoma State
November 12, 2022 | Stillwater, Oklahoma (Boone Pickens Stadium) | Attendance: 55,509
Final Score: Oklahoma State 20, Iowa State 14
Updated Records: Oklahoma State 7-3 overall (4-3 Big 12); Iowa State 4-6 overall (1-6 Big 12)
• In his first career start, freshman quarterback Gunnar Gundy threw for 103 yards and a touchdown as he completed 5-of-12 pass attempts.
• Gundy’s 83-yard touchdown pass to John Paul Richardson in the second quarter marked OSU’s longest pass since Spencer Sanders hit Tylan Wallace for a 90-yard touchdown at Tulsa on September 14, 2019. It also marked a career-long for both players. OSU’s longest passing play of the season entering today was 49 yards.
• The play also marked the longest play against the Iowa State defense this season.
• Spencer Sanders made his first pass attempt of the game on the final play of the third quarter and finished the game 9-of-13 through the air for 84 yards and a touchdown.
• Sanders moved into a tie for third in OSU career touchdown passes with 66, tying Zac Robinson. He trails Mason Rudolph (92) and Brandon Weeden (75) on the all-time list.
• A semifinalist for the Lou Groza Award, Tanner Brown connected on both of his field goal attempts, booting a 37 yarder in the second quarter and a 40 yarder with 4:19 remaining in the game. He entered the game as one of five FBS kickers with at least 16 field goal attempts and a success rate better than 90% this season, and he ranked No. 8 in the FBS in scoring among all players with 10.1 points per game. Going back to last season, Brown has made 20 of his past 21 field goal attempts
• The Cowboy defense forced three turnovers in the first 16 minutes of play. It marked the first time OSU has forced three turnovers in a half since it forced three in the second half at TCU on December 5, 2020.
• OSU’s defense finished with five forced turnovers in the game. The 2020 TCU game also marked the last time the Cowboys forced five turnovers in a game.
• Outside of a touchdown drive that started at the Cowboys’ 9 yard-line, OSU otherwise held Iowa State without a point in the first half. The Cyclones, who entered the game averaging 372.4 yards of offense, finished the first half with 116 total yards and finished the game with 333 total yards.
• Of Oklahoma State’s 60 offensive plays today, 12 included pass attempts by a freshman, 13 included rush attempts by freshmen and three included receptions by freshmen.
• Safety Kendal Daniels had his hand in two first quarter turnovers for the Cowboy defense, forcing a fumble that was recovered by Kody Walterscheid and recording an interception that he returned 12 yards.
• Jabbar Muhammad recorded his first career interception in the second quarter.
• The Cowboy defense recorded its fourth forced turnover in the third quarter when Korie Black recorded his first career forced fumble and Nathan Latu recorded his first career fumble recovery.
• Jason Taylor II, a semifinalist for the Paycom Jim Thorpe Award, recorded his fourth interception of the season and sixth of his career in the third quarter.
• Kendal Daniels and Sean Michael Flanagan led the Cowboys with 10 tackles apiece. That total was one off the career high for both players.
• Quarterback Gunnar Gundy, defense end Kody Walterscheid and defensive tackle Xavier Ross made their first career starts. Wide receiver Braydon Johnson also returned to the starting lineup for the first time since the TCU game.
• Oklahoma State’s game captains were Braden Cassity, Joe Michalski, Brock Martin and Jake Schultz.
The Oklahoma State win…
• Improved its school-record home winning streak to 14 games.
• Gave it wins in eight of its past nine and in 21 of its past 25 games following a loss.
• Made it 7-3 or better for the fourth straight season and for the 13th time in the Mike Gundy era.
• Gave it wins in nine of its past 12 regular season conference games.
• Gave it wins in 11 of its past 14 matchups with Iowa State.
• Gave it wins in seven of the past eight matchups with Iowa State in Stillwater.
• Made the Cowboys 34-20-3 all-time vs. Iowa State and 19-7-2 vs. Iowa State in Stillwater.
• Improved Mike Gundy's career record vs. Iowa State to 11-4.
• Improved Mike Gundy's record in Big 12 games to 95-59.
• Improved Mike Gundy's record in home games to 89-27.
• Made it 21-5 in its past 26 games overall, dating back to the 2020 season.
• Made it 155-71 in its history when playing as an AP-ranked team.
• Made it 142-42 in its history when playing as a higher AP-ranked team than its opponent.
• Made it 86-18 in its past 104 games vs. opponents outside of the AP Top 25, dating back to 2010.
Notable Streaks and Trends
• Spencer Sanders has thrown for 20 touchdowns against just five interceptions in his past 369 pass attempts.
• OSU has won a school-record 14 consecutive home games.
• OSU has held 28 of its past 31 Big 12 opponents under their season scoring average.
• OSU has won 82 consecutive games when holding its opponent to fewer than 20 points, dating back to Sept. 13, 2003 – the longest active stretch in the FBS and longest since at least 1980.
• OSU has held its opponent scoreless on its game-opening drive in 29 of its past 41 games.
• OSU has held its opponent to less than a 50% third down conversion rate in 34 of its past 35 games.
• OSU is 34-13 in its past 47 games decided by fewer than 10 points.
• OSU is 44-7 in its past 51 games when leading at halftime, dating back to Sept. 17, 2016.
• Dating back to 2008, OSU is 74-8 when winning the turnover battle.
• OSU has forced 43 turnovers in its past 28 games.
• Over the past 35 games, OSU has held opponents to 149-for-530 (28.1%) on third down.