(STILLWATER, Oklahoma / January 25, 2019) – Behind a solid performance from newcomer Bunyawi Thamchaiwat, the Oklahoma State women’s tennis team defeated No. 21 Virginia, 4-0, Friday in the opening round of the 2019 ITA Kick-Off Weekend.
Thamchaiwat collected her second win in the Greenwood Tennis Center this week when she upended No. 32, Meghan Kelley. After going up, 6-3, in the first set, the Cowgirl mirrored the score in the second set to secure another OSU sweep.
“Meghan Kelley is a senior who has been around for a while, and is a nationally ranked player,” coach Chris Young said. “Katie (Stresnakova) and Lisa Marie (Rioux) had played against Meghan this fall, and for Bunyawi to come in as a freshman and play one of the better players in the country, and play the way she did, she was really composed.”
The Cowgirls started the evening winning the doubles point. The first-year tandem of Tamara Arnold and Thamchaiwat defeated Cavaliers Vivian Glozman and Hunter Bleser, 6-2, to collect OSU’s first doubles win. Shortly after, Rioux and Guinart came out on top against Virginia’s Chloe Gullickson and Amber O’Dell, 6-3 to clinch the doubles point.
“I think overall the competitiveness of the match was great,” coach Chris Young said. “I think doubles really stood out to us. We knew that was going to be a big thing, so just getting that, 1-0, lead in these big matches is really important. It was also big that we won the first set on all six courts. For them to know they are down, 1-0, and to look on every court and see they lost the first set. The girls took the momentum from doubles and really stepped up.”
Sofia Blanco struck first for the Cowgirls in singles, defeating Sofia Munera, 6-2, 6-2. Stresnakova notched another Cowgirl win, 6-0, 6-4, over Amber O’Dell.
The Cowgirls are back action at 2:00 p.m. tomorrow in the Greenwood Tennis Center tomorrow and take on the Jayhawks in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend championship.
Doubles | Order of finish 3, 2
1. No. 28 Blanco/Gulihur (OSU) vs. Kelley/Munera (UVA) 5-4, unf.
2. Rioux/Guinart (OSU) def. Gullickson/O’Dell (UVA) 6-3
3. Arnold/Thamchaiwat (OSU) def. Glozman/Bleser (UVA) 6-2
Singles | Order of finish 5, 2, 1
1. Bunyawi Thamchaiwat (OSU) def. Meghan Kelley (UVA) 6-3, 6-3
2. Katarina Stresnakova (OSU) def. Amber O’Dell (UVA) 6-0, 6-4
3. Lisa Marie Rioux (OSU) vs. Vivian Glozman (UVA) 6-4, unf.
4. Marina Guinart (OSU) vs. Chloe Gullickson (UVA) 6-4, unf.
5. Sofia Blanco (OSU) def. Sofia Munera (UVA) 6-2, 6-2
6. Catherine Gulihur (OSU) vs. Camille Favero (UVA) 6-1, unf.
Cowgirls Top No. 21 Virginia and Advance to ITA Kick-Off Championship
January 28, 2019 by OSU Athletics