Video/TV: ESPN+ (Lowell Galindo & Troy Eklund)
Radio: KSPI 93.7 FM & stillwaterradio.net (Rex Holt & Matt Davis)
Live Stats: okstate.statbroadcast.com
Twitter In-Game Updates: @OSUBaseball
About Oklahoma State
• OSU is 39-20 on the season and making its ninth consecutive NCAA Regional appearance. The Cowboys finished tied for second in the Big 12 standings with a 15-9 conference mark, one game out of first place, and opened postseason play by advancing to the semifinals of the Big 12 Championship.
• The 2022 season is OSU’s 10th under head coach Josh Holliday, who is 359-197-2 at his alma mater. The Cowboys have earned an NCAA Region berth each year under his watch.
Cowboys At The NCAA Baseball Championship
• Oklahoma State is making its 47th appearance in the NCAA Baseball Championship, which ranks as the fourth most all time, and the Cowboys own a 154-100 (.606) record in the tourney, with the 154 wins sixth on the all-time list. The Cowboys’ 20 College World Series appearances are tied for sixth all time.
• The Cowboys are seeking to advance to the sixth NCAA Super Regional in program history (1999, 2007, 2014, 2016, 2019). Should the Cowboys advance out of the Stillwater Regional, they will face the winner of the NCAA Chapel Hill (North Carolina) Regional in a Super Regional in Stillwater.
• OSU has made an NCAA Regional each season under 10th-year head coach Josh Holliday. It is the Cowboys’ ninth NCAA appearance under his direction — there was no NCAA tourney in 2020 after the remainder of the season was cancelled in March due to the COVID-19 global pandemic
• The Pokes are 20-17 in NCAA tourney play under Holliday — 15-11 in Regionals, 3-4 in Super Regionals and 2-2 at the College World Series. During his tenure, the Cowboys have made five NCAA Regional finals appearances and earned three Super Regional berths. In 2016, Holliday led his alma mater to the 20th College World Series in program history.
• OSU's No. 7 national seed is its highest ever; they were a No. 9 national seed in 2019. This year also marks the fourth under Holliday that the Cowboys have been a No. 1 seed; they previously achieved that status in 2014, 2015 and 2019. OSU was a No. 2 seed in 2016 and 2021, and Holliday-coached OSU teams have been a No. 3 seed three times (2013, 2017 and 2018).
Cowboys vs. NCAA Stillwater Regional Field
No. 2-seed Arkansas — All-time series: OSU leads, 46-21 Last meeting: 3/5/17 at the Frisco College Baseball Classic in Frisco, TX — OSU 8, UA 3
No. 3-seed Grand Canyon — All-time series: OSU leads, 16-4-1 Last meeting: 6/5/21 at the NCAA Tucson Regional — OSU 5, UCSB 3
No. 4-seed Missouri State — All-time series: OSU leads, 18-9 Last meeting: 3/5/22 in Stillwater, OK — OSU 5, MSU 1
In this week's national rankings, OSU checks in as high as No. 5 in the USA Today coaches poll. The Cowboys are ranked No. 6 by D1Baseball, Perfect Game and the NCBWA, 11th by Baseball America and 14th by Collegiate Baseball.
OSU has been nationally ranked for 34 consecutive weeks dating back to the 2021 preseason polls; the Cowboys reached No. 2 twice this season, marking their highest-ever ranking under Josh Holliday.
From March 4, 2013 to April 3, 2017, a streak of 77 consecutive weeks, OSU was ranked in at least one national poll. During that time, the Cowboys spent 18 weeks in the Top 10, climbing as high as No. 3. They have finished in the top 10 in the final polls twice under Josh Holliday — 10th in 2014 and fourth in 2016.
Everybody's Golden All-American
Justin Campbell is a consensus Preseason All-American, earning distinction from D1Baseball, Perfect Game and the NCBWA; he is also a semifinalist for USA Baseball's Golden Spikes Award.
Big 12 Love For The Pokes
OSU placed a conference-high five players on the 2022 All-Big 12 First Team as Justin Campbell, Griffin Doersching, Nolan McLean, Roman Phansalkar and Jake Thompson earned that distinction. The five first-teamers are the second most in program history - only the 2014 Cowboys had more with six.
The Cowboys had 12 All-Big 12 honorees in total. McLean also made the second team and honorable mention, while Marcus Brown, Trevor Martin, David Mendham, Hueston Morrill and Bryce Osmond were also honorable mention performers.
Zach Ehrhard and Roc Riggio were named to the Big 12 All-Freshman team.
We're Going Streaking
OSU's 11-game winning streak in March was the third longest of the Josh Holliday head coaching era. The Pokes won 14 in a row in 2020-21 (last five games of COVID shortened '20 season, first nine of '21) and went on a 12-game win streak in 2014.
The program record for longest winning streak is 30 games, set by the 1986 Cowboys.
Flashing The Leather
OSU's .979 fielding percentage ranks 12th in the NCAA; the Pokes have made 44 errors in 2022.
If You Build It...
OSU ranks seventh nationally in average home attendance; in 27 home dates at O'Brate Stadium this season, the Cowboys are averaging 5,498 fans.
OSU's formula for becoming a NCAA Regional host and No. 7 national seed:
1) No. 10 in RPI 2) 17th in strength of schedule 3) 22 wins vs. RPI Top 100
4) 16-5 road record 5) 10 wins vs. ranked teams
With a team-leading .349 batting average, 14 home runs, 17 doubles and 62 RBIs, All-Big 12 First Team outfielder Jake Thompson is one of the conference's top hitters, ranking in the top 10 in the league in nine offensive categories.
Thompson, who Josh Holliday calls one of the best two-strike hitters he's ever coached, has reached base safely in 68 of OSU's last 75 games, including a streak of 25 consecutive games during that stretch, and he leads the Cowboys with 24 multi-hit and 17 multi-RBI games.
A sixth-year graduate student who found a home at his fourth college stop, Thompson is OSU's leading returning hitter after posting a .342 batting average last season; he was the Big 12's top hitter in conference-only games in 2021 with a .393 average.
Justin Campbell leads the Big 12 and is fifth nationally with 133 strikeouts, a total ranking as the seventh most in a season in OSU history. He has posted double digit strikeout totals six times and has struck out at least eight in 11 of his 15 starts. He tallied a career-high 14 punchouts in the series opener against TCU.
In 2021, Campbell struck out 10 or more in five of his 13 starts and had six games of eight-plus Ks.
100 K & Klimbing
Justin Campbell notched his 100th strikeout of the season against Texas, marking the 19th time in program history a Cowboy pitcher has recorded 100-plus Ks in a season.
Campbell also became only the fourth Cowboy to reach the milestone twice, joining Tom Borland (1954-55), Jason Bell (1994-95) and Matt Smith (1999-00). Campbell had 102 strikeouts in 2021.
Campbell's 257 career strikeouts rank ninth on OSU's all-time list. Of the others in the top 10 only one, Darren Dilks (243 K in 1980-81), had an OSU career of less than three years; Campbell had 22 strikeouts in 20 1/3 innings over four starts during the COVID 19-shortened 2020 season.
Small Town, Big Time
What is it about OSU relievers and small towns? We don't know, but Trevor Martin is continuing a trend.
Martin hails from Asher, Oklahoma, population 412, and the right-hander is 3-3 with nine saves in a team-high 28 appearances (23 in relief). He is second in the Big 12 in saves and has 62 strikeouts in 40.0 innings of work. He's tied for fifth on OSU's single-season saves list, one away from moving into second.
In 2014, Brendan McCurry set OSU's single-season saves record with 19 to earn first-team All-America honors. A native of Tupelo, Oklahoma, population 330, McCurry is also the Cowboys' leader in career saves with 27. His brother, Randy, had 10 saves in 2009 and finished his career with a dozen.
Another small-town Oklahoma kid, Jordy Mercer, from Taloga, Oklahoma, population 300, served as OSU's closer from 2006-08 and ranks second on OSU's all-time list with 17 saves.
What Can Brown Do For You
Marcus Brown went on a tear at the plate during conference play, raising his batting average from .256 prior to the start of league action to .306, which ranks third on the Cowboys.
Brown, who holds the longest hitting streak by a Poke this season at 13-games, hit .318 in Big 12 play.
Nolan McLean's powerful bat has been a fixture in the middle of the Cowboys' order throughout the season, and he has also emerged as OSU's closer with that combination leading to him being named a semifinalist for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award.
The sophomore leads OSU with 14 home runs and is second with 16 doubles. He was the Pokes' second-leading hitter in Big 12 play at .330, and he had seven homers and 20 RBIs in league games.
McLean, a hard-throwing right-hander, has also made 21 relief appearances on the season and is 1-1 with five saves and a 3.91 ERA; he has racked up 36 strikeouts in 23.0 innings.
A unanimous pick for the Big 12 All-Freshman Team, Zach Ehrhard has been a fixture at the top of the Cowboys lineup.
The outfielder is second on the team with a .335 batting average and 22 multi-hit games and leads the Pokes with 17 stolen bases on 21 attempts. He has reached base safely in 20 consecutive games.
Graduate transfer Griffin Doersching smacked 47 home runs in four seasons at Northern Kentucky, and that power surge has continued in Stillwater.
The All-Big 12 First Team DH has 13 homers in 136 at-bats in 37 games, with seven of those long balls coming in Big 12 play. He missed 22 games after breaking his foot on Feb. 27; he returned to the lineup on April 5 and has homered 11 times in OSU's last 27 games. Many of his shots are of the tape measure variety, including a 513-foot shot against Texas Tech and a 500-foot blast against Wichita State.
OSU's pitching staff ranks fourth nationally with 621 strikeouts, and the Cowboys are also 12th in the NCAA with an average of 10.6 strikeouts per nine innings.
The 621 strikeouts are OSU's single-season record, surpassing the previous high of 588 set last season.
Roman Phansalkar is having a career year as a key part of OSU's bullpen.
In his first two seasons at OSU spanning 2020 and 2021, the righty pitched in 15 games and had 21 walks and 17 strikeouts while allowing 26 runs (19 earned) in 19 1/3 innings.
This season, Phansalkar blossomed into an All-Big 12 First Team performer. He is 6-2 with a 2.44 ERA in 26 relief appearances and has struck out 44 while walking 20 in 51.2 innings of work.
Phansalkar posted a 3.27 ERA in conference-only games, allowing eight earned runs in 22.0 innings over a team-high 14 appearances.
The Cowboys have shown a flair for the dramatic to find success late in games and emerge victorious.
• In the series finale and rubber game at Vanderbilt, the Cowboys scored two runs in the ninth inning to break a 5-5 tie and claim the win.
• The Cowboys trailed Wright State 6-2 in the ninth inning of the second game of their Sunday doubleheader but scored four runs to send the game to extra innings before getting a walk-off win in the 10th.
• OSU was down 4-1 after seven innings in its series opener at Arizona State but plated four runs in the eighth inning and two in the ninth to secure a 7-5 victory.
• In game two of the BYU series, neither team had scored entering the eighth inning. The Pokes rallied for three runs with two outs and went on to a 3-0 win.
• Trailing 4-3 in the seventh against DBU, OSU rallied for two runs in the inning en route to a 5-4 win.
• Jake Thompson's two-out, three-run homer in the bottom of the eighth inning in the series finale against Seton Hall snapped a 3-3 tie in a game OSU went on to win 6-4.
• Down 3-1 deficit with two outs in the eighth at Wichita State, OSU plated three runs in the inning and won 5-3.
• Down 7-4 after seven innings in game two of the Bedlam Series, OSU plated three runs in the eighth, tying the game on a two-run homer by Roc Riggio, and won the game on a walkoff wild pitch in the ninth.
• With the series opener at Texas tied 6-6 with two outs in the ninth inning, Zach Ehrhard delivered a two-RBI double that provided the winning runs. In Sunday's finale vs. the Longhorns, OSU trailed 7-0 entering the seventh but rallied for 10 runs in the inning, highlighted by a three RBI double from Roc Riggio and a grand slam from Griffin Doersching, en route to a 10-8 win and series sweep.
Cowboy Baseball Set To Host NCAA Stillwater Regional
June 1, 2022 by OSU Athletics
Video/TV: ESPN+ (Lowell Galindo & Troy Eklund)