(STILLWATER, Oklahoma / March 17, 2017) – It’s that time of the year again, with severe weather season quickly approaching, now is the perfect time to make sure you are ready in case of an emergency.
Daylight savings time is a good time of the year to remind yourself to take precautionary measures regarding severe weather season.
The City of Stillwater reminds residents to complete the following steps to ensure you and your family are prepared in the event of an emergency:
- Check batteries in your smoke detector and your weather radio
- Activate/get NOAA weather radios
- Check/change water, food and medicine in your shelter or survival kit
- Change batteries in your flashlight and portable radio
- Inspect fire extinguishers
- Ensure that your cell phone charger is in good working order
Remember to also register your storm shelter with the City of Stillwater at http://stillwater.org/shelter.
Storm sirens are tested the first Tuesday of every month at 11:30 a.m. When the sirens are activated for a real emergency, an announcement will be made with expected actions.
Plan your days in advance when severe weather is possible, and always be weather aware.
More information on how to prepare for severe weather can be found at https://www.ready.gov/severe-
For media inquiries, contact the Office of Marketing and Public Relations at 405.742.8219 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up for Stillwater eNotifications.
Follow the City of Stillwater on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more.