Oklahoma State 77, UT Arlington 66
Nov. 7, 2022 | Stillwater, Okla. (Gallagher-Iba Arena) | Attendance: 5,324
Updated Records: Oklahoma State 1-0 overall, 0-0 Big 12 I UT Arlington 0-1 overall, 0-0 WAC
Oklahoma State Leaders: Points - Bryce Thompson - 18, Rebounds - Kalib Boone - 9, Assists - Caleb Asberry - 4
UTA Leaders: Points - Taj Anderson - 14, Rebounds - Pedro Castro, Shemar Wilson, Dario Domingos - 5, Assists - Kyron Gibson - 3
- Kalib Boone opened the scoring for the Cowboys with a thunderous dunk early in the game to give the Cowboys the first lead of the night at 2-0.
- Oklahoma State’s defense held UT Arlington to two makes in its first 12 attempts from the field while also forcing six turnovers in the first eight minutes.
- The Cowboys went on a 7-0 run to take a 12-5 lead at the 11:00 mark of the first half.
- OSU held UT Arlington scoreless from 15:10-10:06, highlighted by five forced turnovers.
- The Cowboys allowed just six points the final six minutes of the first half to head into the locker room with a 27-22 lead.
- Oklahoma State came out hot in the second half with a 15-0 run, powered by eight points from Kalib Boone, to extend the lead to 42-22.
- The Pokes outscored the Mavericks 28-2 in the first 8:30 of the second half on nine straight made baskets, including three triples.
- The Cowboys clamped down on defense in the first half, holding UT Arlington to 22 points on 29 percent shooting from the field, including 0-for-8 from three-point range.
- The OSU defense also recorded five steals and four blocks in the first half alone.
- Newcomers John-Michael Wright (High Point), Caleb Asberry (Texas State) and Quion Williams all made their debuts in a Cowboys’ uniform on Monday night.
- Chris Harris Jr. made his first regular season appearance for the Cowboys since Nov. 25, 2020, (712 days ago) against UT Arlington.
- Bryce Thompson led the Cowboys in scoring with 18 points, the eighth time in his career he has topped the scoresheet for OSU.
- Caleb Asberry led all players in assists with four off the bench in his Cowboy debut.
- Kalib Boone tallied 15 points in the season opener, his most since Nov. 17, 2021 against N.C. State.
- All ten Cowboys who logged game action recorded scores in the contest for the first time since Jan. 26 against Iowa State. Bryce Thompson, Kalib Boone and John-Michael Wright scored in double figures.
- John-Michael Wright was perfect from beyond the arc in his Cowboy debut, tallying 14 points and grabbing three rebounds.
- The Cowboys offense came alive in the second half, scoring 50 points for the first time in a second half since scoring 53 against the College of Charleston on Nov. 22, 2021.
- Mike Boynton went with Avery Anderson III, John-Michael Wright, Bryce Thompson, Kalib Boone and Moussa Cisse as the first starting five of the season.
Oklahoma State’s Win…
- Extended the Cowboys' current winning streak to three games.
- Improved the Cowboys to 14-1 in the series against UTA.
- Was Oklahoma State’s eighth straight in the series, including the past three season-openers.
- Made OSU 9-0 all-time at home in the series.
- Improved head coach Mike Boynton to 5-1 in season openers.
- Pushed OSU to 89-25 in season openers.
- OSU has made at least one three-pointer in 728 consecutive games dating back to Jan. 13, 2001.
- In the first half, Oklahoma State held UT Arlington to just 22 points. It marked the seventh-straight half of basketball that it held its opponent to less than 30 points.
- Oklahoma State has recorded seven or more blocks in four-straight games.
- The Cowboys have posted ten or more assists in 11 of their past 13 games dating back to last season.
- OSU has recorded 10 or more offensive rebounds in seven of its past nine games.