(STILLWATER, Oklahoma / December 15, 2018) – Winter commencement ceremonies are happening at Oklahoma State this weekend and 20 members of this year’s Cowboy football team are included on the list of graduates, including All-Big 12 performers Jordan Brailford and Jarrell Owens.
Since Mike Gundy took over as head coach in 2005, 309 OSU football players have earned their degree.
The list of graduates from the 2018 team, which includes those who held their degrees before this weekend:
Britton Abbott (earned one degree in December of 2017 and a second degree in May of 2018)
Jordan Brailford (graduated in August of 2018)
Taylor Cornelius (graduated in May of 2018)
Matt Hockett (graduated in May of 2018)
Cole Walterscheid (graduated in December of 2017)
Larry Williams (graduated in December of 2017)
In addition to posting 10-win seasons on the field in three of the last four years, the Cowboys are performing at a high level in the classroom as well, especially recently. For example:
• OSU is one of only five programs nationally to earn the 2018 Academic Achievement Award from the American Football Coaches Association.
• The Cowboys led the Big 12 and set a program record with 26 overall Academic All-Big 12 selections in 2018.
• The Cowboy football program’s 2016-17 APR of 1,000 (a perfect score) and its multi-year rate of 969 both represent the highest it has achieved since the APR was implemented in 2003. The program’s current multi-year rate was an improvement over the previous year for the fifth consecutive year.
• OSU leads all FBS programs with five CoSIDA Academic All-America honors the past two seasons (2017 and 2018). The Cowboys have produced seven CoSIDA Academic All-Americans in the last six years.
• Running back Justice Hill was honored as the 2018 Big 12 Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
Cowboy football players benefit from academic support provided by Dr. Marilyn Middlebrook, Nikki Jones, Tim McCue, Charles Verner, Stephanie Coca, Emily Middlebrook, Pat Dawson and a team of graduate facilitators and numerous tutors.
OSU fans have one last opportunity to cheer on the 2018 Cowboy football team when it takes on No. 24 Missouri at the AutoZone Liberty Bowl on December 31 in Memphis. Fans can purchase tickets at okstate.com/tickets or by calling 877-ALL-4-OSU.