(STILLWATER, Oklahoma / January 21, 2019) – Oklahoma State tennis coach Jay Udwadia improved to 6-0 against his alma mater as the Cowboys defeated Arkansas, 6-1, Monday afternoon at the Greenwood Tennis Center.
"I was really proud of the guys today,” Udwadia said. “Winning is one thing, but we lost a tight doubles point, then we came out in singles and played well start to finish. I'm really proud of the team and the way we competed."
The Pokes improved their all-time series lead over the Razorbacks to 19-5 and improved to 3-0 for the sixth consecutive year.
The win didn’t come without adversity. The Pokes lost the doubles point after Artur Dubinski and Maxim Tybar fell in a tiebreak match to Arkansas’ Maxim Verboven and Enrique Paya, 7-6(5).
“Coach (Udwadia) just told me to stay in the game,” Tybar said. “Just to fight for every single point, just dig in. I just felt confident.”
Tybar and the Cowboys proceeded to dominate singles play. Four of the six singles matches ended in straight sets, including Maxim Tybar’s 7-6(6), 6-3, victory over Arkansas’ Pedro Alonso.
The match was officially clinched when Brady Draheim defeated Maxim Verboven, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
The remaining singles matches were played out, concluding with freshman Emile Hudd’s tiebreak victory over Arkansas’ Jose Alonso, 6-4, 4-6, (10-7), to give the Cowboys the 6-1 victory.
“That (match) is what I trained for, so when I get to that situation, I know I got game ability to come out of those tough moments,” Hudd said. “I just had to back myself and keep playing the way I was playing and hope that was enough.”
The Cowboys are back in action Saturday at the ITA Kickoff in Fort Worth, Texas, where they will face No. 24 Arizona State
Keep up with all things Cowboy Tennis by following @CowboyTennis on Twitter and Instagram.
No. 21 Oklahoma State 6, Arkansas 1
Jan. 21, 2019 | Greenwood Tennis Center | Stillwater, Okla.
Doubles Results (Order of Finish: 2,3,1)
1. Maxim Verboven/Enrique Paya (AR) def. Artur Dubinski/Maxim Tybar (OSU) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Josh Howard-Tripp/Alex Reco (AR) def. Brady Draheim/Luke Hammond (OSU) 6-4
3. Emile Hudd/Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo/Pedro Alonso (AR) 6-4
Singles Results (Order of Finish: 1,2,4,5,3,6)
1. Artur Dubinski (OSU) def. Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 6-4, 6-0
2. Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-4, 6-3
3. Maxim Tybar (OSU) def. Pedro Alonso (AR) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
4. Luke Hammond (OSU) def. Enrique Paya (AR) 6-4, 7-5
5. Brady Draheim (OSU) def. Maxim Verboven (AR) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
6. Emile Hudd (OSU) def. Jose Alonso (AR) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
Cowboys Sweep Singles, Stay Undefeated After Defeating Arkansas
January 22, 2019 by OSU Athletics