(STILLWATER, Oklahoma / February 1, 2019) – Oklahoma State’s 20th-ranked men’s tennis team fell to Ole Miss, 4-3, Friday afternoon at the Michael and Anne Greenwood Tennis Center.
“It was a missed opportunity,” OSU coach Jay Udwadia said on the loss. “We didn't close sets today, and I think psychologically if we can get that doubles point, win some more of our first sets obviously and just mentally be on top of the other team.”
OSU’s Matej Vocel made his return from injury Friday, as he teamed up with sophomore Luke Hammond to beat the tandem of Sebastian Rios and Karlo Kranic of Ole Miss, 6-4. Vocel missed the past three matches.
However, the Rebels took the doubles point when Tim Sandkaulen and Filip Kraljevic of Ole Miss defeated Artur Dubinski and Maxim Tybar, 6-3, and the duo of Cotter Wilson and Fabian Fallert bested Emile Hudd and Mathieu Scaglia, 6-3.
In singles, Vocel fell to Ole Miss’ Sandkaulen in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0, giving Ole Miss a 2-0 match lead. The Cowboys responded when Hammond beat Simon Junk, 6-4, 6-4, and Dubinski defeated Kraljevic, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3, tying the match at two.
Ole Miss’ Karlo Kranic reclaimed the lead for the Rebels, defeating Maxim Tybar, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, but OSU’s Brady Draheim quickly answered, beating Cotter Wilson (Ole Miss), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2, to knot the match at three.
It all came down to court three, where Mathieu Scaglia fell to Fabian Fallert, 7-6 (13-11), 6-2, resulting in the Cowboys’ second loss of the season.
The Cowboys will hit the road for three away matches, beginning with No. 1 and defending national champions, Wake Forest on Sunday, in Winston-Salem, N.C.
“It is important not to dwell to much on a couple losses in a row,” Udwadia said. “It's a long season, so lets get past it and get ready for the No. 1 team in the country."
Keep up with all things Cowboy Tennis by following @CowboyTennis on Twitter and Instagram.
Ole Miss 4, No. 20 Oklahoma State 3
Feb. 1, 2019 | Michael and Anne Greenwood Tennis Center | Stillwater, Okla.
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2):
1. Tim Sandkaulen/Filip Kraljevic (OM) def. Artur Dubinski/Maxim Tybar (OSU) 6-3
2. Cotter Wilson/Fabian Fallert (OM) def. Emile Hudd/Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) 6-3
3. Luke Hammond/Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Sebastian Rios/Karlo Kranic (OM) 6-4
Singles (Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2, 4, 6, 3):
1. Tim Sandkaulen (OM) def. Matej Vocel (OSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Artur Dubinski (OSU) def. Filip Kraljevic (OM) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
3. Fabian Fallert (OM) def. Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) 7-6 (13-11), 6-2
4. Karlo Kranic (OM) def. Maxim Tybar (OSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Luke Hammond (OSU) def. Simon Junk (OM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Brady Draheim (OSU) def. Cotter Wilson (OM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
Cowboys’ Comeback Effort Not Enough to Top to Ole Miss
February 2, 2019 by OSU Athletics